Lecount Hollow Beach (Maguire Landing), Wellfleet MA
This southernmost oceanside Wellfleet town beach goes by many names - Lecount Hollow Beach, Lecount's for short, or Maguire Landing. Regardless of title, it's heralded as one of the favorites among locals in the summertime. Complete with a tall sand dune, lifeguards from June to Labor Day, a delicious food truck and miles of undeveloped land, Lecount's is all you could wish for. All that space means infinite possibilities of beach volleyball-blanket-umbrella configurations. Depending on the time of year and the configuration of sandbars, you may be able to catch a show with the local surf talent. Under a mile from Route 6, the South Wellfleet General Store, Blue Willow Bakery and PB Boulangerie, fueling up for a day at the beach on the way could not be any easier.
Finding a pristine stretch of sand for you and your family is easy if you are willing to take a walk. Most will park their blankets right at the base of the dune near lifeguards for easy access to their vehicles, bathrooms and the food truck, but if privacy and quiet are what you seek - walk north or south (to the left or right) and claim your space. No matter how busy or crowded Cape Cod may seem, our beaches remain a unique place to find solitude for those willing to seek it out.
Know Before You Go
Parking permits are required from 9am-5pm from the third Saturday in June to Labor Day. Beach stickers may be attained at the Beach Office by the Wellfleet town Pier with a proof of stay in Wellfleet (rental or residential) and valid vehicle registration. For a full list of pricing for the 2018 season, see the town website for details. Outside the summer season, dates and/or hours of 9am-5pm parking is first come first serve.
Solace, a recent addition to Lecount's parking lot, is a unique food truck serving up more than just the average hot dog. Truck owner John Arsenault has a varied and expansive background as a chef and food connoisseur. Enjoy dogfish tacos, avocado poke, quesadillas, Panzanella, fruit punch or green papaya salad on any given summer day. The menu varies daily depending on what is readily available and most days the food sells out quickly. A perfect excuse to "forget" to pack lunch. Open on all beach-worthy days from Memorial Day to late September from noon until four or when they run out of supplies.
Open from spring - autumn
General Rules and Regulations
- A carry-in carry-out for trash and recycling policy applies to all the town operated beaches.
- No dogs allowed in Lifeguarded areas, though leashed dogs are allowed beyond the town owned beach.
- Surfing is prohibited within guarded swim zones from 9am-5pm.
- Alcohol is prohibited on all town beaches.
- Fishing is allowed 500 yards beyond protected (lifeguarded) areas.
- Climbing on the dunes is strictly prohibited beyond the designated walkway to and from the parking lot.
- All rules and regulations are at the discretion of the lifeguards and beach attendants on duty.
- Lifeguards will alert you to potential hazards: rip currents, heavy surf, shark sightings and more. If you don't know, ask.